Join us this January in amplifying mentoring throughout Nebraska! National Mentoring Month is a time to focus attention on the importance of mentors, and to reflect on how each of us — individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, and nonprofits — can help grow the mentoring movement and the positive effects it has on young people.
Become a mentor –Search for a mentoring program near you here.
Recruit mentors – Partner with a local mentoring program to host a virtual mentor recruitment event at your company. MENTOR Nebraska can help connect you with programs in your area! Send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Post on social media – Share your favorite memories, videos, and pictures on social media using hashtags #MentoringAmplifies and #MentoringMonth. Check out this toolkit with graphics and messaging you can use throughout the month.
Design a mentoring T-shirt - Submit a design for MENTOR Nebraska's T-shirt contest! Designs are due January 31 and the winner will receive $250! See details below.
Write a letter to the editor - Share your mentoring experience by submitting an op-ed to your local newspaper.
Attend the National Mentoring Summit - Join youth-serving professionals, researchers, philanthropic investors, youth leaders, government and civic leaders, and the MENTOR network for the 11th annual National Mentoring Summit on January 27-29. Learn more and register here.
January 6 – MENTOR Nebraska's Media Conference
MENTOR Nebraska is kicking off National Mentoring Month with a virtual media conference! We’ll be highlighting how mentoring is adapting during the pandemic, innovative mentoring models to connect young people, and announcing exciting new partnerships.
Our guest speakers include:
- Mayor Jean Stothert, City of Omaha
- Chris Rodgers, Douglas County Board of Commissioners & MENTOR Nebraska Board
- Kenny McMorris, Charles Drew Health Center
- Melissa Mayo, MENTOR Nebraska
- Kris Morgan, Millard Public Schools
Join us via Zoom on Wednesday, January 6 at 10:30 a.m. CST at
January 7 – I Am a Mentor Day
A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world.
January 17 – International Mentoring Day
In honor of Muhammad Ali’s birthday, join the international conversation on social media where photos, videos and messages of powerful mentoring stories are shared. Use #MentoringDay & #MentoringMonth in your posts!
January 18 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism.
January 27–29 – National Mentoring Summit
Learn more about this year’s virtual Summit and register here.
January 27 – Capitol Hill Day
Advocate for policy change in Nebraska by meeting virtually with Members of Congress. Registration closes January 4!
January 29 – #ThankYourMentor Day
A day to show gratitude and recognize the people making positive impacts.
MENTOR Nebraska wants YOU to design our next t-shirt!
Show off your design talents by creating a one-of-a-kind t-shirt that amplifies mentoring. The winning design will be featured on our next t-shirt which will be sold online in February and March.
The winner of this contest will receive a $250 Visa gift card. They will also be featured on social media and receive a free t-shirt with their design on it!
This contest is in partnership with Alumna House --They will be donating 20% of the t-shirt sales to MENTOR Nebraska!
- Submit your design (1 per contestant) to email@example.com by January 31, 2021
- The public will vote on the top three designs (selected by the MENTOR Nebraska team) via MENTOR Nebraska's Facebook page from February 1-4, 2021
- The contest winner be announced February 5, 2021
- The t-shirt featuring the winning design will be for sale on Alumna House's website from February-March. Alumna House will donate 20% of sales to MENTOR Nebraska.
- Theme must focus on mentoring
- Design must be on the front of the shirt only
- Must include the MENTOR Nebraska logo OR mentoring heart --Logos can be found here.
- The design and shirt colors are limited to the following:
- Navy #132F45
- Red #D81D1D
- Yellow #FFAD28
- Green #33C1B3
- Blue #0D5F9A
- Design must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a .jpg, .png, .pdf, .ai, or .psd file
There is no entry fee to submit a design. Only one design submission per contestant. If you are under the age of 18, you may create a design but it must be submitted on your behalf by a parent or guardian.