2021 EXCELLENCE IN MENTORING
MENTOR Nebraska is thrilled to honor champions of mentoring with the Excellence in Mentoring Awards. These awards are presented annually to individuals and organizations that have made tremendous contributions to young people and the mentoring field. The 2021 Excellence in Mentoring Awards will be held virtually on Thursday, April 22 at 12:30 p.m.Register for the Event
MENTORING AWARD CATEGORIES
The Excellence in Mentoring Awards will be presented in the four categories listed below.
Deadline for nominations is Friday, March 12.
Mentor of the Year
Given to an individual who has demonstrated a commitment to mentoring by helping a young person reach their full potential - Nominate a Mentor
Young Leader of the Year
Given to a young person (8-21 years old) who is involved in a mentoring program and has demonstrated service to their community and great leadership potential - Nominate a Young Leader
Mentoring Practitioner of the Year – In Honor of Deborah Neary
Given to a mentoring practitioner who has made tremendous contributions to young people and the mentoring field - Nominate a Mentoring Practitioner
Mentoring Advocate of the Year
Given to a foundation, company, organization, or individual who has made a significant impact on young people by using their influence and public platform to support mentoring opportunities or mentoring initiatives - Nominate a Mentoring Advocate
- Only completed nominations submitted by Friday, March 12 will be accepted.
- You are welcome to self-nominate or submit more than one nomination, but you must fill out a nomination for each individual.
- Nominees must live and work in Nebraska.
HONOREE SELECTION & EXPECTATIONS
- Nominations will be reviewed and voted on by MENTOR Nebraska’s Board of Directors and staff.
- Nominators will be notified if their nominee was selected as one of this year's honorees by Friday, March 26. If selected, MENTOR Nebraska will work with you to notify your nominee.
- Award winners in each category will be recognized and invited to give a brief speech at the virtual Excellence in Mentoring Awards on Thursday, April 22 at 12:30 p.m.
- The recipient of the Young Leader of the Year Award will receive a $500 grant.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
MENTOR Nebraska is committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion for all. We embrace our differences and celebrate our common humanity in advancing the need and transformative power of supportive relationships for our young people. We believe that varied experiences and opinions are central assets in our mission to close the mentoring gap. Through the Excellence in Mentoring Awards, we seek to elevate the voices, contributions and accomplishments of leaders who are diverse in skill, perspective and experience and encourage nominations for people from all backgrounds.
If you need assistance in submitting a nomination due to accessibility needs or have other questions, please reach out to Teresa Riesberg at email@example.com.
Past Award Recipients
- Mentor of the Year: Erica McGruder, Nominated by Partnership 4 Kids
- Business of the Year: University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Mentor of the Year: Vicky Muli, Nominated by Girls Inc. of Omaha
- Business of the Year: Greater Omaha Chamber
- Advocate of the Year: Willie Barney & The Empowerment Network
- Mentor of the Year: Edward Stevens, Nominated by 100 Black Men of Omaha
- Business of the Year: First National Bank
- Advocate of the Year: Lisa Utterback
- Mentor of the Year: Ben Ries, Nominated by Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
- Business of the Year: KETV News Watch 7
- Advocate of the Year: Richard Holland, Nominated by Partnership 4 Kids
- Mentor of the Year: Amy Nelson, Nominated by Kent Bellows Mentoring Program
- Business Advocate of the Year: Creighton University, Nominated by Kids Can Community Center, Youth Emergency Services, Girls Inc. and Ollie Webb Center, Inc.
- Mentor of the Year: Dakotah Taylor, Nominated by Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
- Business Advocate of the Year: Mutual of Omaha & Mutual of Omaha Foundation, Nominated by Youth Emergency Services
- Outstanding Collaborator: Oanh Heiser
- Mentor of the Year: Tess Larson, Nominated by Girls Inc.
- Business Advocate of the Year: OPPD, Nominated by Partnership 4 Kids
- Mentor of the Year: Laura Hopp, Nominated by Ollie Webb
- Business Advocate of the Year: Kiewit Company, Nominated by TeamMates
- Mentor of the Year: Elaine Bankey, Nominated by TeamMates
- Business Advocate of the Year: Kutak Rock, Nominated by Partnership 4 Kids
- Mentor of the Year: Don Bend, Nominated by Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
As a resource to promote best practices throughout Nebraska, MENTOR Nebraska provides several fundamental training and assessment tools at no cost to mentoring programs. These training opportunities help mentoring programs gain the support and resources they need to provide high quality mentoring experiences.